Saturday, March 6, 2010

Protected by Angels

Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation? ( Hebrews 1:14)

Some summers ago as I was traveling home from a visit with my mother, I had an experience which tried my patience, but at the same time, it made me stop and think.

Summer in Michigan among other things, means "roadwork". One often encounters detours due to road construction and repair. We normally follow the detours and the instruction of the person directing traffic, and are still able to reach our destination without too much hassle.

On this particular day I was aware that there was construction on my route home, but I figured I would be able to get through without a problem. There were no signs telling me that the road was closed to through traffic. As I waited in a line of traffic for my turn to go through, I noticed that several vehicles ahead of me turned around and went back the way they had come. My assumption was that they didn't want to wait any longer. I was wrong.

I approached the intersection thinking it was finally my turn to go through, but to my surprise, I also was directed to go back the way I had come. It made me upset and angry that I had waited in this long line of traffic and now had to turn around and find a different route home.

God was teaching me patience here, but it also brought to mind something my favorite aunt had discussed with me as a child. She said, "We will never know how many times in life we have been delayed by traffic (or other situations that hold us up and sometimes try our patience) as part of God's plan to watch over us and protect us from harm or danger." Perhaps if I had gone through that intersection, I would have been involved in an accident, either there or further down the road. Maybe God was protecting me from being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Remembering these words of my aunt helped me to calm down and not let it ruin my day. God loves me. His holy angels are real. They are present at all times serving him and us, his children.

We all experience difficult and trying situations in our lives at times. When the hardships and irritations in life seem to be stacking up against you, keep in mind that the Almighty God is directing your life. All things happen for a reason and according to his plan for you. Be patient and wait for him. Put your trust in his almighty power. He won't let you down.

For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. (Psalm 91:11)

By Kristeen - To God be the Glory!

3 comments: