Saturday, September 4, 2010

Deliberate Sin

If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. (Hebrews 10:26)


I know it’s wrong, but I’m going to do it anyway! I’ve talked to God about it. I know He will understand. It’s what I have to do. These words were spoken to me recently by a young woman contemplating an abortion.


What have you done?
As children growing up in a small town, my sister and I had lots of freedom. We walked to the beach, we walked to our friend’s homes several blocks away, we walked to the cemetery where there was a sand hill we loved to play on, we walked to and from school, and we walked to the post office, the library, and the corner store. Everyone knew everyone, and all looked out for each other.

There were however, still rules to follow and of course, being normal children, there were times when we broke the rules. The one thing mom stressed more than any other was this; “ALWAYS let me know where you are going”.

I can still remember one time when I broke this cardinal rule. I rode the bus home from school with a friend without letting mom know that I was going. You see, I originally had permission to go, but changed my mind and told my mother I wasn’t going. Then during the school day I changed my mind again and decided to go. The problem was, that the bus was leaving and if I ran home to tell mom, I would miss the bus. I knew I shouldn’t go without letting someone know, but I didn’t want to miss out…so I went. My sister went also, however she had permission. When our father came to pick us up later, I knew I was in trouble by the look on his face. When we got home I was sent to my room. I can still picture him coming into my room with a yardstick in his hand. Now a yard stick is not a very sturdy stick. I only got a couple of swats on the bottom which stung a little, but didn’t harm me physically. It made a huge impression on me though. I remember it to this day and I never did that again.

There are consequences for sin. As a result of my disobedience, I received a spanking with the yard stick. Later, after the punishment, came forgiveness. I told my dad I was sorry and I truly was. Although that didn’t minimize what I had done, I was forgiven and life was back to normal.

On another occasion my sister and I both did something foolish. There were railroad tracks running through our small town. The yard of one of our friends backed up to the tracks, but we were told to NEVER play near the tracks. It was very dangerous for children. The rule was made to keep us safe.

One day while we were playing there the temptation to play on the tracks overcame our common sense. If we walked down the tracks a ways, there was a trestle where the train crossed the river. We wondered what it would be like to stand on the trestle and look down at the river below. There was a deep ditch on each side of the tracks, so in order to get to the trestle we had to walk along the top of the rails. There was no jumping off to either side because it was very steep and full of thick brush. We made it onto the trestle and as we stood there looking down at the water below us, we heard the train whistle. It was very close to us. The only thing we could do was RUN!! We ran for our lives and just made it off the tracks in time to avoid being hit by the train. What a tragedy that would have been for us and for our family.

In both incidents there was the knowledge that we were doing wrong.

I knew I shouldn’t get on that school bus without letting my mother know. It was breaking the rules but I didn’t want to miss out...so I did it anyway. When the fun was over and it was time to go home, I realized what a foolish thing I had done.

My sister and I both knew that it was dangerous and against the rules to play on the tracks, but…we did it anyway. We put our own agenda over and above what we knew was right. We willfully and deliberately did wrong.

I have sinned more times than anyone can count during my lifetime. We all have. So what is the difference between my sins of disobedience as a child, along with all the other sins I have committed, and hers? Am I better than she? Does God love me more? Is one sin worse than the other?

The difference is Faith. I have Faith. I love God. I appreciate all that He has done, and still does for me. I know that I am a sinner. Psalm 51:5 tells me, surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. But I also know that because of what Jesus did for me, I am a Saint (Holy in God’s eyes). Through faith I am forgiven. I can’t stop myself from sinning because it is a part of my human nature, but I know that when I go to God in prayer and acknowledge my sin and the sorrow I feel over it, he will wrap His arms around me lovingly, just like my parents did so many years ago after I had done wrong, and take me back into His fold.

Christ’s suffering and death is a serious matter and not to be taken lightly. He is the Son of God. He was holy and without sin. He gave up His life for us. He tells us in His word that life is a precious gift – a gift from Him. By going against His will this young woman is blatantly disregarding the sacrifice He made for her and for all people. She is saying it’s not important. She is saying God’s will is only important when it fits her lifestyle.

In her defense, I think she is a little confused. The devil is preying on her heart through human reason, outside of the realms of faith. She may not understand what faith is. Maybe she has never been exposed to the word enough to have experienced faith. Anyone can say that they believe in God, but that doesn’t mean they have faith. The devil believes in God too, but he doesn’t have faith. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even demons believe that – and shudder. (James 2:19)

I am not able to judge what is in her heart – only God can, but I can judge her actions. James 2:17 tells us In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead…and in verse 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead. Where there is faith there is love. Where there is love there is respect and trust. If there is faith, love and trust in her heart for God, it will show in her life and her actions. She would trust that God would take care of her and her unborn child.

God would not tell her it’s okay to murder her child. He forbids murder in the fifth commandment (Exodus 20:13). To tell her its okay this one time would make Him go against His own word and make Him a liar. God is no a liar. His word is the truth and does not change. Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. (John 17:17) If she truly had respect for God’s will, she would never ask such a thing of Him. Does she really think that God would approve of and understand her reasons for murdering her child, a precious gift from Him? God does not say to us; you shall not murder and then in the next breath tell us go ahead, I understand and I will forgive you later. That is not the way He works.

There are consequences for the sin of abortion, and it isn’t just a couple of swats on the bottom with a yardstick. Once done, there is no turning back. She will regret taking the life of her child the rest of her life. She will wonder what her baby would have looked like. She will wonder if it was a girl or a boy. She will think of him/her each year on the date the baby would have been due to be born. It will leave a scar on her heart that will never go away.

When I ask a young woman if she has had emotional problems as a result of an abortion and she says “NO”, she is either lying to suppress her feelings, or she is not sorry for what she did. If she is truly not sorry and doesn’t see it as a sin, then she has no love and respect for God and His holy will, and all that’s left for her is a fearful expectation of judgment, and a raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. At that point she is an enemy of God and there is no salvation for the enemies of God.

This young woman and many like her need our prayers. They need to experience faith in a loving and forgiving God. They are very confused and insecure. They are told it’s alright to abort their children. Deep in their hearts they know it is wrong, but our government says it is okay. The day will come however when we will all have to answer to God. What will this young woman say when she stands at the judgment seat of God and he asks her; where is that child I blessed you with – that precious gift with a beating heart and a will to live? What did you do with it?

Pray for the moms and the unborn babies!

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives. (1John 1:8-10)

By Kristeen – To God be the Glory!

I you are reading this and you are suffering from a past abortion, please remember that there is hope. Our God is a loving and forgiving God. If you are truly sorry for what you did, there is forgiveness for you. Go to Him in prayer. Talk to Him. You are loved. You are forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment