Sunday, July 25, 2010

Christians Live by Faith

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

(Hebrews 11:1)


Christians live by faith. By faith we believe that God created the world in six days. By faith we believe God’s promise of salvation through Jesus. By faith we believe Jesus is God’s one and only Son, born of a virgin. By faith we believe that Jesus is both true man and true God. By faith we believe that he was without sin and lived a perfect life for us. By faith we believe that he suffered and died on the cross to pay the price for our sins. By faith we believe that he rose from the dead on Easter Sunday. By faith we believe that God hears and answers prayer. By faith we look forward to His promise of eternal life in heaven when we die.


As I get older, I tend to think more seriously about my faith. I grew up in a Christian family. There was never a conscious decision made as to whether or not we would attend church on Sunday. It was a “given”. Church was always a part of our Sunday schedule. I attended Christian schools my whole life, from the first grade through my first and only year of college. Even though I consider this a huge blessing, I think that because of it I sometimes have taken that faith for granted.


I realize now what a blessing my faith is. I was brought to faith at my baptism on April 24, 1950. As a child my faith was nourished through the word at home, at school, at Sunday school, and at Church.


It does not take faith to know that I will die someday. It does however take faith to know where I am going when I die. Death is the one sure thing in life. The day will come when my body will return to the dust from which God created mankind.


I know that when it is my time to die, God’s angels will be there to carry me to my eternal home in heaven. Jesus has given me his word. He says, Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. (John 17:24) What a wonderful promise! I believe that promise of Jesus. I am sure of what I hope for (that being heaven) even though God has not yet allowed me to see it. It is my prayer that my faith will be a light that leads others to their Savior and eternity in heaven also.


Do you have faith? Do you know where you are going when you die? If you are not sure open your Bible to the Gospels and begin reading. Faith is a free gift. It is offered to all people. The Holy Spirit puts faith in our hearts through the Word. Faith comes from hearing the message and the message is heard through the word of Christ. (Romans 10:17). Faith is also given to us through baptism and it is strengthened and renewed through the sacrament of Holy Communion.


If you don’t have faith - if you weren’t as fortunate as I, to have been brought up in the faith through a Christian family, the best place to start is the Word. Pick up your Bible (an easier version to understand is the NIV translation) and begin reading. The Gospels are the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. They tell us the “Good News” of how God sent His son to save mankind from sin, death and the devil. The word Gospel means Good news. Give it a try. I guarantee you will have no regrets.


By Kristeen – To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment